Proxy server?

Gary usenetthrowaway at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 07:48:08 EDT 2008

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote in message
news:6f6sk7Fa4tf5U1 at mid.uni-berlin.de...
> Gary schrieb:
> > "Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote in message
> > news:6f5rteF89muqU2 at mid.uni-berlin.de...

> You can't make any TCP/IP communication run through a proxy, unless it's
> transparent.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm puzzled though that a such a transaction isn't possible by rewriting the
headers. So client X connects to my PS, which passes on the data to the
target but with the header changed to indicate the PS as the original
source. The intended target responds to the PS, this is then resent to
client X with the header modified so that the transaction appears
transparent. So it's *effectively* transparent target>client but
non-transparent client>target, if you see what I mean.

Can you please explain why this wouldn't work?

Thanks,
Gary