FOSS projects exhibiting clean/good OOP?

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 9 20:24:36 EDT 2008

>> I'm wondering whether anyone can offer suggestions on FOSS projects/
>> apps which exhibit solid OO principles, clean code, good inline
>> documentation, and sound design principles?
>
> This is somewhat subjective... Some would say that Python's object
> model is fundamentally broken and crappy (not MHO, needless to say)
> that Python +  "solid OO principles" is antinomic !-)
>
> More seriously:
>
>> I'm devoting some time to reviewing other people's code to advance my
>> skills. Its good to review bad code (of which I have more than enough
>> examples) as well as good, but I'm lacking in finding good examples.
>>
>> Projects of varying sizes would be great.
>
> I'd recommand at least FormEncode and SQLAlchemy.

I'd object calling FormEncode a well-designed project. The classic
dilemma has not been dealt with very well: should the software be
uber-flexible and hence complex or more rigid but simple. Ideally,
this dilemma is solved by being uber-flexible but the user (meaning
developers using the code) experience is kept simple by hiding the
complexity from developers who don't want to know about them but
exposing it to advanced developers who do want to know about them.
IMHO FormEncode is not a good example of this. But PIL definitely is!

Cheers,
Daniel