Python parsing iTunes XML/COM

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Tue Jul 29 19:52:25 EDT 2008

On Jul 30, 3:53 am, william tanksley <wtanksle... at gmail.com> wrote:
> To ask another way: how do I convert from a file:// URL to a local
> path in a standard way, so that filepaths from two different sources
> will work the same way in a dictionary?
>
> Right now I'm using the following source:
>
> track_id = url2pathname(urlparse(track_id).path)
>
> url2pathname is from urllib; urlparse is from the urlparse module.
>
> The problems occur when the filenames have non-ascii characters in
> them -- I suspect that the URLs are having some encoding placed on
> them that Python's decoder doesn't know about.

WHAT problems? WHAT non-ASCII characters?? Consider e.g.

# track_id = url2pathname(urlparse(track_id).path)
print repr(track_id)
parse_result = urlparse(track_id).path
print repr(parse_result)
track_id_replacement = url2pathname(parse_result)
print repr(track_id_replacement)

and copy/paste the results into your next posting.