Python 3.0 and removal of the 'string' module

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 11 02:23:16 EDT 2008

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Can anyone see a reason to believe the above wiki page's statement
> > about the 'string' module being removed? More to the point, can
> > anyone see a reason why that statement should remain on that page?
>
> Removing string and moving the functionality elsewhere was considered,
> but...

[…]

Thanks for the pointer.

> Feel free to edit the wiki.

Done.

This is rather disappointing. Is that entire page suspect? It reads
like a canonical list of things that will happen in Python 3000. What
other long-obsolete information is there? I'm not about to go digging
to find out.

--
 \       “[T]he question of whether machines can think […] is about as |
  `\         relevant as the question of whether submarines can swim.” |