What is the role of python2.6 and C++?

Ulrich Eckhardt eckhardt at satorlaser.com
Mon Jul 21 10:06:15 EDT 2008

甜瓜 wrote:
> Another question is about the future of C++. I am a C++ programmer.
> Since I studied python, most of my projects becomes written in python
> because of the better and simpler OOP representation. As a supplement,
> I use python C extension for computational extensive jobs. Therefore,
> for a relatively long time, I do not use C++ any more... Anyone is
> same to me? What is your attitude to the role of C++ in the age of
> python?

I guess the key here is "agile programming". Python allows you to quickly
change things, sometimes even on the fly and test them using the
interpreter. C++ offers high performance while still providing a high-level
interface. In fact using Boost.Python, it is even a piece of cake to
integrate C++ code into Python, including automatic conversion of things
like std::string or exceptions.

My personal feeling is that neither of the two is going away, last but not
least because of the large amounts of existing C and C++ code.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH