python scalability

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Jul 10 08:25:51 EDT 2008

Tim Mitchell a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I work on a desktop application that has been developed using python and
> GTK (see www.leapfrog3d.com).  We have around 150k lines of python code
> (and 200k+ lines of C).  We also have a new project manager with a C#
> background who has deep concerns about the scalability of python as our
> code base continues to grow and we are looking at introducing more
> products.  I am looking for examples of other people like us (who write
> desktop apps in python) with code bases of a similar size who I can
> point to (and even better talk to) to help convince him that python is
> scalable to 300+ lines of code and beyond.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd say that if you didn't feel anything wrong
nor spot any problem so far working on a 150 klocs project, there's just
no need to worry. FWIW, a C# port would probably requires *way* much
than 150 klocs.

>  I have looked at the python
> success stories page and haven't come up with anyone quite like us. One
> of my project managers questions is: "Are we the only company in the
> world with this kind and size of project?"

Doing a quick count using wc -l (so the following numbers include
comments and blank lines), Zope 2.8 is about 418 klocs, Plone 3 about
259 klocs. Which, for the full stack, makes about 677 klocs. Even if you
estimate a 50/50 ratio between real locs and comments/blank lines, this
still makes something like 338 klocs.

Is that enough ?-)