imap4_SSL from behind a proxy server

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Jul 4 03:45:54 EDT 2008

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Dave schrieb:
>> I'm trying write some Python code to connect to Gmail from work, where
>> I need to direct all non-HTTP traffic through a proxy server.
>
> AFAIK that's simply not possible.

It's possible.

> Proxying that is not transparent is
> only (for practical matters, there might be esoteric protocols that do
> that as well) defined for HTTP.

Your mixing terms here.

> So "I need to direct all non-HTTP traffic through a proxy server."
> does not make much sense - at least to me.

The fact you don't know about it does not mean it does not make much
sense. ;-)

E.g. when using HTTPS the proxy does not see any HTTP traffic except the
HTTP CONNECT going to the proxy itself.

> Do you have an example of an application (e.g. mailclient or such) that
> *does* support the above scenario?

Widely used: OpenVPN, Netscape Communicator 4.x (at least for NNTPS - 10
years ago) etc.

The key-word to search for is HTTP CONNECT method. I'd try to implement
a file-like object for it and pass that into imap module. But the proxy
configuration may disallow it. Firewall admins also know the commonly
used freemail services.

Ciao, Michael.