python scalability

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:46:07 EDT 2008

>> I work on a desktop application that has been developed using python
>> and GTK (see www.leapfrog3d.com).  We have around 150k lines of python
>> code (and 200k+ lines of C).  We also have a new project manager with
>> a C# background who has deep concerns about the scalability of python
>> as our code base continues to grow and we are looking at introducing
>> more products.  I am looking for examples of other people like us (who
>> write desktop apps in python) with code bases of a similar size who I
>> can point to (and even better talk to) to help convince him that
>> python is scalable to 300+ lines of code and beyond.  I have looked at
>> the python success stories page and haven't come up with anyone quite
>> like us. One of my project managers questions is: "Are we the only
>> company in the world with this kind and size of project?"
>> I want to say no, but am having trouble convincing myself, let alone him.
>>
>> If you are involved in this kind of thing please get in touch with me.

If python is suitable for large projects with over 300k lines of code
but not in the desktop app scene but web apps then probably it is also
suitable for desktop apps. You can probably convince your manager that
the previous statement is true. Once that is done you can point to
youtube and google who are heavy python users without scalability
issues.

Cheers,
Daniel