Python 3.0 and removal of the 'string' module

John Roth johnroth1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:22:19 EDT 2008

On Jul 11, 6:26 am, Benjamin <musiccomposit... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 3:06 am, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:

> > > All documentation about Python 3 is suspect until Python 3 gets
> > > actually released (nobody can say for sure how the release will
> > > look like in all details).
>
> > Is there a better information source, then, for the current state of
> > what's expected in Python 3.0?
>
> Look at the development docs. We try to keep them up to date:http://doc.python.org/dev/3.0
>

> > --
> >  \        “Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we |
> >   `\   are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire |
> > _o__)                             and nobody got scared.” —Jack Handey |
> > Ben Finney

The PEPs are also a good source; library changes are all listed in PEP
3008. PEP 361 not only gives the schedule but it also gives a lot of
detail on 3.0 features backported to 2.6 and incompatible features
that raise warnings in 3.0

PEP 3000, PEP 3100 and PEP 3099 are also well worth reviewing.

John Roth