sage vs enthought for sci computing

Mike Hansen mhansen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 22:40:59 EDT 2008

On Jul 7, 3:35 pm, jadamwils... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have recently become interested in using python for scientific
> computing, and came across both sage and enthought. I am curious if
> anyone can tell me what the differences are between the two, since
> there seems to be a lot of overlap (from what I have seen). If my goal
> is to replace matlab (we do signal processing and stats on
> physiological data, with a lot of visualization), would sage or
> enthought get me going quicker? I realize that this is a pretty vague
> question, and I can probably accomplish the same with either, but what
> would lead me to choose one over the other?
> Thanks!

Hello,

If you are using Windows, you're better off using Enthought for now
since Sage does not run natively on Windows yet.  Hopefully by the end
of the year there will be a native version on Windows.

If you're on Linux or OS X (or Solaris in the near future), then Sage
does have some advantages.  If you build Sage from source (which
consists solely of type "make" once), then you get a copy of ATLAS
tuned to your machine which can provide a solid speedup for numerical
linear algebra problems.  You also get all of the symbolic and exact
arithmetic which may or may not be beneficial for your application.
Sage also comes with libraries so that you can script Octave or Matlab
or most any other system.

--Mike

Full disclosure: I'm a Sage developer :-)