Cross Compiler for Python?

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Wed Jul 9 03:09:14 EDT 2008

 "norseman" <nor...ghes.net> wrote:

8< ---------------------------------------------------------

> ....dreaded....  Yep! I know the feeling. Got lots of those T-Shirts. ;)
>

> I re-read your original post. I got the feeling the eBox is running a
> stripped down Linux. Is that so?   If it is, then:

Correct - a kernel, and busybox masquerading as the whole of GNU...

> You mention pcmcia. Is it external, a plug in?  Do any of your
> desktops/etc have pcmcia slots? Because if so.....

Its part of the eBox - quite a neat implementation

> 1) Card can be mounted on your machine
> 2) Compile and install can be direct to card (rem 32bit output)
>             just change the install path(s). Look over the eBox /lib
>             ( I'm assuming Linux again)  and put that lib path first in
>             the compile command line.
>
> If no desktop pcmcia adapter - pay the $40 or so for an USB attachable
> pcmcia adapter

This is sane - I would need it if ever we get to using the thing, for loading
software onto the devices anyway.

> sample:
> plug in card
>
> (if current drives on desktop are scsi or sata drives you may need to
> change sda to sdb or sdc or ....  use fdisk /dev/sda to check existence.
> the single letter 'q' to exit without changing anything. Careful with
> fdisk - damage comes quickly, easily and unrepairable. All you are after
> is which letter to use. Last one before No such drive is the one.
> )

should be able to look in /dev - but I will be carefull...

Also Suse and GUI should just pop up, like a USB stick does.

> cd /mnt
> mkdir sda
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda
> ls /mnt/sda    should give base dir listing of flashdrive
> (linux will treat the pcmcia flash as a removable HardDrive)
>
> install to /mnt/sda/usr/local/lib  (or /mnt/sda/--where ever--)
> then: back on eBox
>    cd /mnt
>    mkdir sda
>    cd sda
>    ln -s /usr  usr
>
> I did the soft link process above on my machine, then:
>
> ls /mnt/sda/usr/local/lib/python2.5   should list contents correctly
> (and does on my machine since it is located in /usr/local/lib/python2.5)
> thus keeping compile and install paths working.  The use of the midnight
> commander (mc) with card mounted makes transferring whole trees simple.
> Soft links were invented for a reason!
>
> OF COURSE, if the eBox is not running Linux, all this is useless! ;)
>
> Steve

Thanks a lot - this seems the way to go...

- Hendrik