Pyro: ProtocolError('connection failed')

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 2 17:31:00 EDT 2008

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> THis is just a guess - but it seems that somehow you don't bind your
> pyro objects to the NIC's IP address, but to localhost (127.0.0.1) -
> which of course won't work. That never happened to me though, try and
> see the pyro docs on how to prevent/control to which IP a proxy is bound.

This problem has been discussed quite a bit on the Pyro mailinglist. What's happening is
that Pyro is indeed binding the server on the loopback adapter (making it invisible from
the outside). It does this because of what I (and several others) believe to be a bug in
the default hosts file of many linux distributions: the local hostname resolves to the
loopback adapter's address 127.0.0.1 instead of a sensible IP address.

Pyro provides some ways to work around this issue, if you can't or won't fix the
/etc/hosts file.

--irmen

PS I've replied to the original poster by private email conversation. I'm filtering
newsgroups posts that originate from google groups, hence I only saw this message
because of Diez's reply.