Newbie Threading Question

Lev Elbert elbertlev at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 02:53:08 EDT 2008

On Jul 13, 8:33 am, Sparky <Samnspa... at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems strange, but I can't find a list of operating systems which
> support / don't support threading in Python. Can anyone point me in
> the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Here is the list (from Python documentation of thread module):
7.4 thread -- Multiple threads of control

This module provides low-level primitives for working with multiple
threads (a.k.a. light-weight processes or tasks) -- multiple threads
of control sharing their global data space. For synchronization,
simple locks (a.k.a. mutexes or binary semaphores) are provided.

The module is optional. It is supported on Windows, Linux, SGI IRIX,
Solaris 2.x, as well as on systems that have a POSIX thread (a.k.a.
``pthread'') implementation. For systems lacking the thread module,
the dummy_thread module is available. It duplicates this module's
interface and can be used as a drop-in replacement.