windows active directory ldap output encoding

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Jul 8 04:58:27 EDT 2008

Michael Ströder wrote:
> jo3c wrote:
>> Im trying to get some information out of a windows sever 2003 chinese
>> active directory system
>> so let's say encoding is probably big5 or utf-8
>
> The Unicode encoding of LDAP attributes with syntax Directory String is
> always UTF-8 (e.g. attributes 'cn', 'sn', 'givenName' or 'displayName').

BTW: I'd be curious to see whether my web2ldap works with Chinese
characters. Since you already have python-ldap installed it's easy to
download (from http://www.web2ldap.de/download.html) and unpack the
tar.gz and start it as stand-alone web server:

python <web2ldap-dir>/sbin/web2ldap.py -d off

Ah forgot, pyweblib needs to also be installed with usual
python setup.py install:
http://www.stroeder.com/pylib/PyWebLib/

If everything is correctly configured in your browser you should the
correct Unicode chars. Maybe you can even maintain your AD entries.

Ciao, Michael.