Need help in writing up a Python Syntax checker

alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.Fr alexandre.Fayolle at logilab.fr
Thu Jul 31 10:29:07 EDT 2008

On Jul 14, 8:22 am, Kinokunya <kinoku... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My group and I will be working on our final year project, the scope to
> do a program/web-based application similar areas of functionalities
> like thePyLintand PyChecker; a Python syntax checker. We have no
> Python background, equipped only with some knowledge of Java and Dot
> net.

Great, this means you'll get a change to learn a new great language.

> We did some research on PyLint and found out that there are 2 common
> modules thatPyLint & PyChecker are using, namely logilab-astng and
> logilab-common. I'm not really sure what these 2 modules are for.

To my best knowledge, pychecker does not use logilab-common or logilab-
astng.

> Quoted from the offical site,
>
>     The aim of this module (logilab-astng) is to provide a common base
> representation of python source code
>
> We're not really sure what they meant by common base representation of
> source codes. Does that mean logilab-astng is somewhat like a
> repository/library of Python syntax API so that we can easily 'call'
> these module to aid in syntax checking?

logilab-astng is a python library which gives access to the Abstract
Syntax
Tree (AST) of some Python code. This representation is used by pylint
perform checks on the code without manipulating the source code
directly.

> Our current stand was to use Jython as it is able to support Java as
> well as the .PY files inside logilab-astng and logilab-common, but
> having no knowledge in Python, we're unable to make out whatever was
> in the 2 above modules, was was unable to find user support forums/
> communities for Logilab related stuff.

Subscribe to the python-projects mailing list
(http://lists.logilab.org/mailman/listinfo/python-projects)

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Logilab