Bypassing WebFilter security

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 02:42:39 EDT 2008

>> I am working in an organization, which is using a very strict
>> webcontent filter management suite. Due to this i am unable to
>> download any exe file, or surf web (even the necessary downloads from
>> sourceforgenet are blocked). I was wondering, if python could be of
>> any help. Say i have a python script, and i pass the URL of
>> downloadable file, and it just downloads the file for me.
>
> Nice try. Can I talk to your employer for a minute? :)
>
> Honestly, the language doesn't make any difference here, and there isn't
> much
> you can do unless you control both sides, i.e. the server and the client.
> But
> I would suggest you actually talk to your employer yourself to see if
> there's
> an official way to get what you want.

Yes, the language itself doesn't matter as long as you go through the
web. But if I were you I would use an ssh client to ssh to a remote
machine on which I have an account, download the file there to that
machine and scp it to the local machine. Assuming of course port 21 is
not blocked.

In fact, this is something I do regularly for similar reasons :)

Good luck,
Daniel