Unusual Exception Behaviour

Robert Rawlins robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 13:47:13 EDT 2008

>> That's seriously weird. What's your Python version and platform? On my
>> Windows and Linux machines, with more recent Python versions the above
>> trick works flawlessly.
>>
>> Check your environment, namely PYTHON* variables. There may be
>> something causing this behaviour. Unset them.
>>
>> Check the first line of your scripts. If you're calling wrong Python
>> interpreter (there may be more than one in the system for some
>> reason), this may cause it.
>>
>> You could also try setting up PYTHONINSPECT environment variable or
>> run the python interpreter with -i option before program filename,
>> which drops you into an interactive shell upon exception or
>> termination of a program.
>>
>> This behavior is seriously unusual for Python. Maybe you have some old
>> / buggy version?
>
> Thanks for that MK. I'm using Debian with Python 2.5 from the stable apt
repository, installed > but a couple of days ago. I'll be sure to look into
those other elements you suggested also. > > I'm not sure if it bares any
resemblance but this application runs a gobject mainloop and uses > > dbus
quite extensively.

> Don't think this might have something to do with the way I have my loggers
configured do you? > > For some reason it sits in my mind that this issue
started when I moved my logging > > > >  > > > configuration from
programmatic into a config file, I can't be totally sure of that though.

> I've attached the config file that I use, does it all look ok to you? I
wonder if the way I've > not added any handles/formatters to my root logger
might be causing beef?

> This is certainly a strange one.

Ok, Just to add a little interest, when I comment out the configuration line
for my logging, like so:

#logging.config.fileConfig("/myapp/configuration/logging.conf")

It appears to throw the exceptions as normal :-) :-s

Sounds as if it's a conflict with my logging configuration, I wonder what
though.