like py2exe, but on a mac

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue Jul 29 15:28:12 EDT 2008

In article <mailman.791.1217267514.922.python-list at python.org>,
 Tommy Nordgren <tommy.nordgren at comhem.se> wrote:

> On 28 jul 2008, at 03.59, William McBrine wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:58:59 +0200, Python.Arno wrote:
> >
> >> http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html
> >
> > py2app bundles Python itself into the app, right? I wonder, is there
> > no
> > way to create an app bundle that relies on the existing installation
> > of
> > Python, since OS X already comes with Python? I have a tiny little
> > program (~20k) that I'd like to make into an app bundle, if only to
> > suppress the console window, and I'd rather not lump in the whole
> > Python
> > interpreter if I can avoid it.
> >
> 	There is Platypus, a general open source program to wrap a script
> in an Macintosh (GUI)

It's an interesting application, but... I tried it to bundle a script
that puts up a standard Tkinter file save dialog box and I found that
the dialog box was not in front -- I had to switch applications to get
to it. Still, it looks useful for fully faceless applications; unlike
py2applet the text to stdout shows up in a log window.

-- Russell