Core Dump - Segmentation Fault -Newbie

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:57:13 EDT 2008

johnericaturnbull at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi - I am very new to python. I get this random core dump and am
> looking for a good way to catch the error. I know the function my core
> dump occurs. Is there any error catching/handling that I could use in
> python?

When posting such questions, please supply Python version, system info,
and usually code.

If you wrote a function in Python that seg faulted, congratulations, its
hard (but not impossible) to do ;-).  Post it.

If you (or someone else) wrote a C function that seg faulted while
calling the Python api, well that is much easier.  Post it or bug the
author.

If you (or someone else) wrote a C function that seg faulted in normal C
code, well that's easy.  Most likely a bad pointer.

tjr