Attack a sacred Python Cow

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Jul 28 03:26:02 EDT 2008

castironpi <castironpi at gmail.com> writes:
>> I think you misunderstood him. What he wants is to write
>>
>> class foo:
>>    def bar(arg):
>>        self.whatever = arg + 1
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> class foo:
>>    def bar(self, arg)
>>        self.whatever = arg + 1
>>
>> so 'self' should *automatically* only be inserted in the function
>> declaration, and *manually* be typed for attributes.
>>

> There's a further advantage:
>
> class A:
>   def get_auxclass( self, b, c ):
>     class B:
>       def auxmeth( self2, d, e ):
>         #here, ...
>     return B

In auxmeth, self would refer to the B instance. In get_auxclass, it
would refer to the A instance. If you wanted to access the A instance
in auxmeth, you'd have to use

class A:
   def get_auxclass(b, c ):
     a_inst = self
     class B:
       def auxmeth(d, e ):
         self # the B instance
         a_inst # the A instance
     return B

This seems pretty natural to me (innermost scope takes precedence),
and AFAIR this is also how it is done in Java.

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 »It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
  By definition, there are already enough people to do that.«