Boolean tests [was Re: Attack a sacred Python Cow]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jul 29 23:17:49 EDT 2008

Carl Banks wrote:

>> As I wrote in the second reply email I sent, check out my integer set
>> recipe on ASPN (and to save you the search:  http://code.activestate.com/recipes/466286/).
>
> Couple points:
>
> 1. Any container type that returns a length that isn't exactly the
> number of elements in it is broken.
> 2. The need for __nonzero__ in this case depends on a limitation in
> the language.
> 3. On the other hand, I will concede that sometimes calculating len is
> a lot more expensive than determining emptiness, and at a basic level
> it's important to avoid these costs.  You have found a practical use
> case for __nonzero__.

I thought of another one: testing whether an iterator is 'empty' (will
raise StopIteration on the next next() (3.0) call) or not.  As virtual
collections, iterators generally have neither __len__ or __bool__.  But
__bool__ (but only __bool__) can be added to any iterator by wrapping it
with something like the following 3.0 code (not tested):

class look_ahead_it():
   def __init__(self, iterable):
     self.it = iter(iterable)
     self.fill_next()