Can't get Python for Windows to run

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 13:11:14 EDT 2008

2008/7/4 Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk>:

> Ummm. That's the Python interpreter but without a window so
> (unhelpfully, from your point of view) it's doing exactly the
> right thing.
>
> I assume you were trying to run the PythonWin Python
> interpreter and dev env? On my system, that's:
>
> C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\Pythonwin.exe

Ah! Something that would have been blindingly obvious had it
successfully installed the shortcuts, but something I would never have
worked out as it was!

Many thanks.

Is it worth flagging as an issue somewhere the fact that the pywin
installer assumes a particular structure for the start menu, and fails
to install shortcuts if it doesn't find that structure? I'm used to
programs asking me where they want to put the shortcuts, and creating
folders if they don't find them (creating *without* asking would, of
course, a Hostile Act).
--
Tim Rowe