re quiz

David C. Ullrich dullrich at sprynet.com
Thu Jun 12 13:50:00 EDT 2008

In article <qvq7i5x726.ln2 at joeserver.homelan.net>,
 Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de> wrote:

> David C. Ullrich schrieb:
>
> >> -- care to tell us what "a certain re.sub" is, and
> >> false in what way?
> >
> > Read the OP.
>
> Well, aren't you funny. Maybe you should have referenced the other
> thread so one can find the OP?

What other thread? OP is sometimes Original Poster and
sometimes Original Post. In the original post in this
very thread I gave an quote from the docs and an example
illustrating the answer to the question I was asked.

Ok, I guess it's hard to find the top of the thread.
I wanted to replace a certain pattern with r"\remark{Hint}".
I didn't understand why that didn't work until I read
the bit of the docs that I quoted in my original post:

(**) "If repl is a string, any backslash escapes in it are
processed. That is, "\n" is converted to a single newline
character, "\r" is converted to a linefeed, and so forth."

--
David C. Ullrich