ctypes, function pointers and a lot of trouble

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Wed Jun 4 10:30:21 EDT 2008

Matt <mr.edel at gmx.at> wrote:
>  Hm, thanks, now I can access my data in the functions and also write
>  them but the program keeps terminating right at the point when the
>  "open" function finishes. Unfortunately everything closes and I get no
>  error messages.
>
>  I did some additional work in the meantime and changed my code so it has
>  the correct datatypes now:
>

>  def pystreamopen (contextH, mode, pErr):
>       print "opening..."
>       print contextH.contents.dwBufferSize #just to check the structure
>       print mode 	#tells about what the DLL wants to do with this stream

You program is crashing somewhere after here since mode is printed but
nothing else is

>       contextH.contents.mode = c_byte(5) #5=Permission to read and write
>       contextH.contents.lPos = c_uint(0) #start position
>
>       print pErr.contents
>       pErr.contents = c_uint(0)

Try commenting out these lines and see if it works, then uncomment one
at a time.

Also is that supposed to be returning something?

>  Anyway, meanwhile  decided to try a different approach. Maybe I have
>  more luck by having the function write the data directly into a file on
>  the HDD.
>  Doe anyone know how to translate the following into Python/ctypes?
>
>  I googled quite a lot before but all topic-related I found was my own
>  posting here in this NG :S
>
>  pFilStrm->hFile = CreateFile(	pFilStrm->szFileName,
>  dwDesiredAccess,								dwShareMode,									NULL,
>  dwCreationDisposition,
>  FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,
>  NULL );

use os.read os.write and os.open which will give you OS handles rather
than python file objects, ie I think these are a fairly direct
interface to CreatFile etc (but I could be wrong - I'm not a windows
expert!)