Creating a TCP/IP connection on already-networked computers

John Salerno johnjsal at gmailNOSPAM.com
Sun Jun 15 03:39:15 CEST 2008

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	Is there any possibility you are confusing a Windows Workgroup or
> Domain in this... (Assuming anyone still runs such) Or other Windows
> convenience features to automatically detect computers in a local area
> network and display them in "network neighborhood".

What I have is a desktop PC connected via ethernet cable to my cable
modem. I also use a router and my laptop uses a wireless connection.
This alone, of course, doesn't connect the computers, AFAIK. It's just
an internet connection.

What I did next was go to My Network Places > Set up a home or small
office network, and follow the wizard through the steps that would allow
me to share files and folders between the two computers. It's possible
I'm using the wrong terminology when I say this is a "home network,"
because all it is is the two computers being able to access each other's
hard drive.