What happened to _tkinter.so?

akineko akineko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 21:00:18 EDT 2008

Hello Python developers,

I have noticed something curious while I was investigating a problem
with the PyInstaller.

In my environment, the PyInstaller couldn't find TCL/TK installation
path even I have it.
I found the PyInstaller uses output from ldd <dynamic link libary> to
find the a path to TCL/TK libraries.
But no dynamic libraries under my Python 5 lib-dynload directoty
contain a path to TCL/TK libraries.

When I posted this problem to the PyInstaller newsgroup, a guy
responded that he didn't have such problem.
After several exchanges, what we found was his lib-dynload directory
contains _tkinter.so (even he has the same Python2.5.2) while my lib-
dynload directory doesn't have it.

He installed the Python using package tool (no fresh compile) while I
installed my Python from src (clean compile).

I recompiled Python 2.4 and confirmed that Python 2.4 creates
_tkinter.so.
After browsing the Makefile under Python 2.5, I had an impression that
Python 2.5 no longer uses _tkinter.so.

Am I correct?
If that is the case, I need to warn the PyInstaller developers that
the scheme to find TCL/TK path is no longer valid.

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.
Aki Niimura