Does the python library of Google Data API is truly free?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Jun 9 17:46:31 EDT 2008

Kless schrieb:
> On 9 jun, 21:40, Lie <Lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you notice that the terms are for the SERVICE not for the SOFTWARE.
>> The terms for the service is quite reasonable, as I see it.
>> The software itself is governed by the Apache License 2.0, detailed
>> here:http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
> Well, it's used a free license to access to a service that is not free
> -it's owner and too restrictive-. And it isn't nothing reasonable that
> Google get many rights about your content, and that you have not any
> right about the rest of the content.
>
> This goes against the free software, considering that a service is
> software.

This is nonsense. If a hosting provider offers you free hosting based on
linux - and then goes out of business or is forced to charge money - do
you say "that's against free software?"

Or if they prohibit you to host malicious, offending or otherwise
problematic content served by the free apache - is that "against free
software?"

A service is a service. It is offered as is, under whatever conditions
the provider likes it.

Offering a convenient way to access the service using a FOSS license is
good style. But you aren't forced to use that, you can write your own.
But that doesn't change the terms and conditions of the service itself.

Diez