Squeak-like environment for Python?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Jun 5 07:08:48 EDT 2008

Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
> Jumping Arne wrote:
>
>> I've been playing with Squeak a bit and I really like the persistent
>> storage model, I also liked HyperCard and Frontier (well, the persistent
>> storage model at least).
>>
>> I wonder if there is some similar environment but based on python, I would
>> like to use this environment not as a development environment but as a
>> platform for storing data etc - much like HyperCard.
>>
>> I found a few postings about such an environment:
>>
>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006226.html>
>>
>> but it looks like nothing happened.
>>
>> pythoncard doesn't seem to have the persistent storage model
>
> What about ZODB? You can use that to store (more or less) arbitrary objects.
> Maybe that can be a foundation, if you throw in
>
> http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Home
>
> it might be similar to squeak (I only dimly remember what squeak as a whole
> is though - smalltalk & easy multimedia I remember)

Mainly, Squeak is a (relatively) recent, free implementation of Smalltalk.

<disclaimer="please someone correct me if I'm wrong">
The "persistent storage model" - the 'image' storing the whole system
(code, libs, data, whatever) - is part of the Smalltalk system since
it's first conception IIRC  (even if some Smalltalk implementations -
like GNU Smalltalk - are more traditionnaly file-based and have no
automatic persistence).
</disclaimer>