Going from Tkinter to pyQT

Sebastian "lunar" Wiesner basti.wiesner at gmx.net
Mon Jun 23 15:46:05 EDT 2008

Alex Bryan <alexnbryan at gmail.com>:

> I had a guy on this mailing list tell me that pyQT is much better than
> Tkinter, and after looking into it a bit I think he is right. However,
> I can't find much on it. I want to know if there are any good books or
> online tutorials that would be helpful. I doubt there is one, but if
> there is one on going from Tkinter to pyQT, that would be amazing.
> Well if any of you guys have any tips or suggestions on any of this I
> would appreciate it.

There are some tutorials mentioned in the official python wiki [1].  Then
there is the PyQt wiki [2], which as a section dedicated to tutorials [3].
Moreover I absolutely recommend to read the reference gui from riverbank
computing [4].  At last, you should always keep the official docs at hand.
They contain plenty of good tutorials and background documents about
different Qt4 techniques, that are _definitely_ worth reading.  Code
samples and API docs are of course kept in C++, but transferring these to
Python is mostly easy, the differences are not that big.

So you see, there's more than enough PyQt4 stuff out there ;)

But the most important thing to do at the transition from Tk to Qt4 goes
first, before you start digging any Qt4 specific document:  Forget
everything, you learned about GUI programming with Tk.  Qt4 works complety
differently! ;)

[1] http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt
[2] http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki
[3] http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/Tutorials