Good grid + calendar, etc.?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 12:44:32 EDT 2008

On Jun 1, 8:28 am, Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 06:00:03 -0700 (PDT), Mike Driscoll
>
> <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I recall that there is an advanced calendar widget that's been made by
> >one of the regulars on the wxPython list, but it's not a part of the
> >official distribution at this time. You'll have to ask about calendar
> >widgets and such there though.
>
> The impression I get, is that those extra widgets (besides the usual
> edit, listbox, etc.) aren't really developped/maintained, which is a
> problem when comitting for applications that will have to be
> developped for a few years.

That's debatable. While I doubt the author of the widgets on this site
is constantly working on them, if you have a problem, he is very
responsive and has been known to fix them within hours of the bug
report:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/freeware.html

The Float Canvas widget is also actively maintained by its author.
These are just a few examples.

> For instance, is there a calendar in wxPython that has this look and
> feel, and is under active development?http://www.devexpress.com/Products/VCL/ExScheduler/

I don't know. You should ask on the wxPython user's list:
http://www.wxpython.org/maillist.php

I have personally written a reminder application that has that same
pop-up window though. The grid in the photo that show the months on
the left and letters on the top would be trivial to create. I don't
know how to overlay the grid with other widgets, but I suspect it
would only require doing something in a paint event or embedding some
additional widgets in it.

> >The grid can be quite advanced. Did you look at the wxPython demo? Or
> >Dabo?
>
> Yes, but although the basic wigets are just fine, wxGrid looks a bit
> like the basic TStringGrid in Delphi, ie. it's pretty basic so that
> several vendors came up with enhanced alternatives. But maybe I
> haven't played with it long enough.
>
> www.asiplease.net/computing/delphi/images/string_grid_demo_popstars.gif
>
> It lacks sorting capability, merging cells with the same content, etc.

The MegaGrid example demonstrates sorting. You'll have to ask about
the other features on their list. I haven't done that as of yet.

Mike