ConfigParser: Can I read(ConfigParser.get()) a configuration file and use it to call a funciton?

Cédric Lucantis omer at
Thu Jun 26 16:59:06 CEST 2008

Le Thursday 26 June 2008 16:41:27 jamitwidme at, vous avez écrit :
> Hello. I am a novice programmer and have a question
> I have a configuration file(configuration.cfg)
> I read this from using ConfigParser
> When I use ConfigParser.get() function, it returns a string.
> I want to call a function that has the same name as the string from
> the configuration file.

You can find the function in the global dictionary (returned by globals()):

globs = globals()
func_name ='1234', 'function')
func = globs[func_name]

# and then call it

But a safer way would be to use a class with some static methods:

class Functions (object) :

	def efgh () :
		blah blah...

and then find the function in the class dict:

func = getattr(Functions, func_name)

this way you can restrict the set of functions the user can give, excluding
those which are not supposed to be called this way.

Cédric Lucantis