problems with opening files due to file's path

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 10 21:01:12 CEST 2008


heh thanks Mike - glad im not going mad :P

Just tested locally in IDLE (I know I know!) and it works for me like this:

>>> test = os.path.join(os.getcwd(),"NEWS.txt")
>>> test
'D:\\Python25\\NEWS.txt'
>>> os.startfile(r"%s"%test)
>>>

And the file opens...

Does the file definitely exist?

Tom
--------------------------------------------------
From: "Alexnb" <alexnbryan at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:37 PM
To: <python-list at python.org>
Subject: Re: problems with opening files due to file's path

>
> No this time it perhaps gave me the worst of all heres what I entered, and
> the output
>
>>>> startfile(r"%s"%full)    ***full is the path***
>
> startfile(r"%s"%full)
>
> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified:
> '"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Alex\\My Documents\\My
> Music\\Rhapsody\\Bryanbros\\Jason Mraz\\I\'m Yours (Single)\x01 - I\'m
> Yours.wma"'
>
>
> Thomas Morton wrote:
>>
>> maybe try string substitution... not sure if that's really the BEST way 
>> to
>> do it but it should work
>>
>> startfile(r"%s"%variable)
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> From: "Alexnb" <alexnbryan at gmail.com>
>> Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:05 PM
>> To: <python-list at python.org>
>> Subject: Re: problems with opening files due to file's path
>>
>>>
>>> Well, now i've hit another problem, this time being that the path will 
>>> be
>>> a
>>> variable, and I can't figure out how to make startfile() make it raw 
>>> with
>>> a
>>> variable, if I put startfile(r variable), it doesn't work and
>>> startfile(rvariable) obviously won't work, do you know how to make that
>>> work
>>> or better yet, how to take a regular string that is given and make every
>>> single "\" into a double "\\"?
>>>
>>> Mike Driscoll wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Jun 10, 11:45 am, Alexnb <alexnbr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> > Alexnb wrote:
>>>>> >> Okay, so what I want my program to do it open a file, a music file
>>>>> in
>>>>> >> specific, and for this we will say it is an .mp3. Well, I am using
>>>>> >> the
>>>>> >> system() command from the os class. [...]
>>>>>
>>>>> >> system("\"C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My
>>>>> >> Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Weezer\(2001)\04 - Island In The
>>>>> Sun.wma\"")
>>>>> >> [...]
>>>>>
>>>>> > Try os.startfile() instead. It should work better.
>>>>>
>>>>> > -- Gerhard
>>>>>
>>>>> > --
>>>>> >http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>>>>>
>>>>> No, it didn't work, but it gave me some interesting feedback when I 
>>>>> ran
>>>>> it
>>>>> in the shell. Heres what it told me:
>>>>>
>>>>> >>> os.startfile("C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My
>>>>> >>> Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Jason Mraz\I'm Yours (Single)\01 - I'm
>>>>> >>> Yours.wma")
>>>>>
>>>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>>>   File "<pyshell#10>", line 1, in <module>
>>>>>     os.startfile("C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My
>>>>> Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Jason Mraz\I'm Yours (Single)\01 - I'm
>>>>> Yours.wma")
>>>>>
>>>>> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified:
>>>>> "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Alex\\My Documents\\My
>>>>> Music\\Rhapsody\\Bryanbros\\Jason Mraz\\I'm Yours (Single)\x01 - I'm
>>>>> Yours.wma"
>>>>>
>>>>> See it made each backslash into two, and the one by the parenthesis 
>>>>> and
>>>>> the
>>>>> 0 turned into an x....
>>>>> --
>>>>> View this message in
>>>>> context:http://www.nabble.com/problems-with-opening-files-due-to-file%27s-pat...
>>>>> Sent from the Python - python-list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>>>
>>>> Yeah. You need to either double all the backslashes or make it a raw
>>>> string by adding an "r" to the beginning, like so:
>>>>
>>>> os.startfile(r'C:\path\to\my\file')
>>>>
>>>> HTH
>>>>
>>>> Mike
>>>> --
>>>> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> View this message in context:
>>> http://www.nabble.com/problems-with-opening-files-due-to-file%27s-path-tp17759531p17761338.html
>>> Sent from the Python - python-list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>>
>> --
>> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>>
>
> -- 
> View this message in context: 
> http://www.nabble.com/problems-with-opening-files-due-to-file%27s-path-tp17759531p17761946.html
> Sent from the Python - python-list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list 




More information about the Python-list mailing list