Does the python library of Google Data API is truly free?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 11 16:10:07 EDT 2008

"Kless" <jonas.esp at googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:f89f9d94-4652-4cfc-86f3-a9ec7ad229f3 at 26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...
| All that "free service" has a great price

Just about everything has a price.  The fraudulent 'free' offeres are those
that charge fees and what not to collect the 'free vacation' or 'free
money' (which never appears) or whatever.  But I have not heard of Google
doing that.

Anyone offering free data storage is usually expecting to sell ads or
premium services.  What to watch out for is a site with hidden or
later-added claims of ownership over non-trivial amounts of data uploaded
to a site.  But I don't believe Google does that and don't expect they
will, since it would kill the good will that they depend on.

So do read Terms of Service.  If you do not agreee, do not check the
'[]agree' box.  Just leave.

Python is about as free as anything.  The price of using it is the work of
downloading and installing and the agreement to act civilized and neither
falsely claim authorship nor sue the provider (PSF) you never paid anything
to.

Contributors, on the other hand, have to sign a form giving the PSF the
irrevocable perpetual right to distribute Python with their contributions
included -- or someting like that.

tjr