The Importance of Terminology's Quality

szr szrRE at szromanMO.comVE
Sun Jun 1 02:27:35 EDT 2008

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> szr wrote:
>> Peter Duniho wrote:

>>> Indeed.  That suggests it's probably off-topic in most, if not all,
>>> of the newsgroups to which it was posted, inasmuch as they exist for
>>> topics specific to a given programming language.
>>
>> Perhaps - comp.programming might of been a better place, but not all
>> people who follow groups for specific languages follow a general
>> group like that - but let me ask you something. What is it you
>> really have against discussing topics with people of neighboring
>> groups? Keep in mind you don't have to read anything you do not want
>> to read. [1]
>
> I very much doubt that the original thread is relevant for the Java
> group.
>
> But the subthread Lew commente don was about Perl and Unix. That is
> clearly off topic.

I agree with and understand what you are saying in general, but still,
isn't it possible that were are people in the java group (and others)
who might of been following the thread, only to discover (probably not
right away) that someone decided to remove the group they were reading
the thread from? I know I would not like that, even if it wasn't on
topic at the branch.

Personally, I find it very annoying to have to switch news groups in
order to resume a thread and weed my way down the thread to where it
left off before it was cut off from the previous group.
--
szr