warning for unused packages/modules/objects

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 20:14:45 EDT 2008

Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> How difficult would it be to implement a system in python that would
> warn if there are unnecessarily imported packages/modules/objects in
> the code? I mean that when developing some code one frequently imports
> stuff, deletes the import, changes stuff here and there, imports other
> stuff, later decides to change things and consequently delete the line
> with the import, etc, etc. As a result there can stay
> packages/modules/objects that are in the end not used. It would be
> great if python would issue a warning once the program finishes.

Style-checkers will help with this. pylint, pychecker, and pyflakes are all good
tools. I tend to use pyflakes most often. It's small and doesn't do as much as
the others, but it does unused imports and undefined name checks much faster
than the others. I can run it compulsively on my file.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco