Creating a TCP/IP connection on already-networked computers

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 13:22:02 EDT 2008

On Jun 14, 11:31 pm, John Salerno <johnj... at gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
> Let me see if this question even makes sense...I'm reading Core Python
> Programming and I jumped ahead to the more specific topics like network
> programming. I plan to follow along with the example in that chapter and
> create a socket connection between my desktop and laptop.
>
> However, these two computers are already connected on my home network
> (using the Windows Network Setup Wizard), so I was wondering if this
> will have any effect on what I might try to do with Python. In other
> words, if the program I write actually works and allows the two
> computers to speak to each other, will that be a result purely of the
> program, or will it have anything to do with the fact that they are
> already on a home network together? (i.e. there's another variable in play?)
>
> Thanks.

The Windows Network Wizard is a poor abstraction to set up layer 3 and
4 (the TCP/IP and lower) and layer 5 (the file sharing). You don't
need to run this wizard if you've set up your TCP/IP and lower
correctly manually (which, according to me, is easier than using the
wizard). In a normal situation, you shouldn't need to worry about
setting up the layer 3 and 4, you can assume that this two already set
up.

Some problem lies when connecting two computers through internet, such
as you may have to use external IP address or set up port forwarding
on the server-side. This is due to the use of 192.168.xxx.xxx as
inside-LAN IP address instead of letting each device on the whole
world has their own IP address.