problems with opening files due to file's path

Alexnb alexnbryan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:45:50 EDT 2008

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> Alexnb wrote:
>> Okay, so what I want my program to do it open a file, a music file in
>> specific, and for this we will say it is an .mp3. Well, I am using the
>> system() command from the os class. [...]
>>
>> system("\"C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My
>> Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Weezer\(2001)\04 - Island In The Sun.wma\"")
>> [...]
>
> Try os.startfile() instead. It should work better.
>
> -- Gerhard
>
> --

No, it didn't work, but it gave me some interesting feedback when I ran it
in the shell. Heres what it told me:

>>> os.startfile("C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My
>>> Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Jason Mraz\I'm Yours (Single)\01 - I'm
>>> Yours.wma")

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#10>", line 1, in <module>
    os.startfile("C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My
Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Jason Mraz\I'm Yours (Single)\01 - I'm Yours.wma")

WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified:
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Alex\\My Documents\\My
Music\\Rhapsody\\Bryanbros\\Jason Mraz\\I'm Yours (Single)\x01 - I'm
Yours.wma"

See it made each backslash into two, and the one by the parenthesis and the
0 turned into an x....