complex numbers should respect the "I" representation

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 09:14:16 EDT 2008

On Jun 28, 1:48 pm, "narutocan... at gmail.com" <narutocan... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I think complex numbers should respect the "i" or "I" representation,
> instead of "j".
> No reason being cute and using a different character instead of the
> traditional representation? At least have the decency of supporting
> the orginal representation?

You're looking at this from a very narrow perspective. i is indeed the
common notation in the realm of mathematics. However, in the realm of
engineering, j is more common (i is used for current). So given that
both i and j are in common usage for denoting a complex number, and
that i is common for indexing, then j is a perfectly reasonable
notation for Python to use.

> Programmers use j as frequently as i as indexing variable, I see no
> reason choosing "j" over "i". Have some respect for majority's rules.
> This is childish.

Do some research before flaming on a subject on which you only have
one side of the story.

--
Ant