Improving datetime

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Mar 19 16:30:57 EDT 2008

Nicholas F. Fabry schrieb:
> This is a query for information as to how to proceed.  I am not a
> professional programmer, but I use Python a great deal to help me in
> my main job, which involves designing schedules for a global airline.
> As such, I use datetime (and dateutil) extensively, and after much
> use, I have come to some conclusions about their utility, and how to
> improve them.  Some of these changes are quite minor and would result
> in a large increase in utility (low hanging fruit), while some changes
> are major, and would result in less obvious benefits - but these
> changes would increase the 'Python Zen' of them.
>
> So - where should I propose these changes?  Here?  python-dev?  Should
> I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
> with code samples?  I would volunteer to help maintain/improve
> datetime, but I don't speak C at all, unfortunately, and datetime
> appears to be in C.

Please write a detailed but not too long proposal to the Python ideas
mailing list. The proposal should explain how you like to improve the
datetime module. But *please* don't write a novel. You'll get more
attention when the signal to noise ratio is high. A bullet list of
features is easier to read than a long text block.

I'm a core developer and I may be interested in mentoring your proposal.
I can guide you through the process, review code and commit it.

Yes, the datetime module is written in C. But we may move the C code to
_datetime and create a facade module in Python.

Christian