How to write a wxPython video player directly with Gstreamer

SPE - Stani's Python Editor at
Mon Mar 31 14:51:44 CEST 2008

In the hope it will be useful for others I've posted on my blog
example source code of how to integrate gstreamer directly in

"wxPython ships by default with the wx.MediaCtrl for very basic
playback of music or videos. As I would like to do more advanced video
manipulation, I was curious if I could use Gstreamer directly in
wxPython to create my own pipelines. It was surprisingly easy.

For those who don't know Gstreamer, I quote the website (http://

GStreamer is a library that allows the construction of graphs of media-
handling components, ranging from simple playback to complex audio
(mixing) and video (non-linear editing) processing. Applications can
take advantage of advances in codec and filter technology

In order not to spam this mailing list, you can read more on
Best regards,