Subprocess and /usr/bin/dialog

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Mar 21 18:59:02 EDT 2008

On 2008-03-21, harrelson <harrelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get the below code to work and can't quite make things
> happen.  This is with Python 2.5.1.  Dialog is doing something odd...
> I have tinkered with different combinations and I can't get the dialog
> to show properly-- it does show properly directly in the shell.  Any
> hints?
>
> import subprocess
> command = '/usr/bin/dialog --clear --title "title" --menu "text" 20 50
> 5 "a" "this and that" "c" "3 this and that" "b" "2 this and that" "d"
> "4 this and that"'
> proc = subprocess.Popen(command, shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
> stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
> #proc = subprocess.Popen(command, shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
> stderr_value = proc.communicate()[0]
> print stderr_value

[It would be helpful if you didn't wrap sample code when you
post it.]

dialog displays the widget on stdout.  You've connected stdout
to a pipe, so you're not going to see anything displayed unless
you read data from the stdout pipe and write it to the terminal.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Boy, am I glad it's
                                  at               only 1971...