Urgent : How to do memory leaks detection in python ?

Sean Allen sean at ardishealth.com
Mon Mar 17 09:46:13 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:21 AM, Pradeep Rai wrote:

> Thanks for your inputs !!!
>
> I have installed python v 2.5 on my Linux machine and executing the
> tool again.
>
> I would like to share the memory status( using free -m command )
> before and after the execution of the tool.
>
> BEFORE EXECUTION
> ================
>
>                    total       used       free     shared
> buffers     cached
> Mem:          1006        148        858          0
> 8         92
> -/+ buffers/cache:         46        960
> Swap:         2047          0       2047
>

> AFTER EXECUTION
> ===============
>                   total       used       free     shared
> buffers     cached
> Mem:          1006        940         66          0
> 49        846
> -/+ buffers/cache:         44        962
> Swap:         2047          0       2047
>

> I am unable to find out why 66 MB system memory is left after tool
> execution ? If python does not have memory leaks then where this
> memory is going ?

the free you are looking at is not a  good indication of 'actual
memory available' in linux.

the number you are intersted is this one:

> -/+ buffers/cache:         46        960

vs

> -/+ buffers/cache:         44        962

before execution you had 960 available for use by applications
after execution you had 962 available.

here is one of many pages explaining memory under linux:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management