Newbie Question - Overloading ==

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Mar 31 20:09:42 CEST 2008

xkenneth <xkenneth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now obviously, if I test an instance of either class equal to each
> other, an attribute error will be thrown, how do I handle this? I
> could rewrite every __eq__ function and catch attribute errors, but
> that's tedious, and seemingly unpythonic. Also, I don't want an
> attribute error thrown whenever two classes are compared that don't
> have the same attributes.
>
> I have a sneaky feeling I'm doing something completely unpythonic
> here.

Surely an A isn't equal to every other object which just happens to have
the same attributes 'a' and 'b'? I would have thoughts the tests want to be
something like:

class A:
    def __eq__(self,other):
         return (isinstance(other, A) and
            self.a == other.a and self.b == other.b)

(and similar for B) with either an isinstance or exact match required for
the type.