Distributing Python Apps on Linux\BSD

PurpleServerMonkey PurpleServerMonkey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:30:18 EDT 2008

Working on a rather large open source python application that I want
to release for Linux and BSD and was wondering what methods others are
using to distribute large and complex applications.

Setuptools and friends seem to be focused on distributing modules, I'm
at the other end of the scale where I want to distribute an entire
application so that an Administrator can run a single install and have
a fully operational product. A key requirement is that I want the
application to fit in with what and admin would expect an application
to look like at the system level i.e site-packages like structures
aren't suitable.

So far I've thought of using a configure script and make which would
call some custom python installer script to do the actual install. It
fits in nicely with what I want to achieve but are there any better
options out there, how are others doing the same thing?