Shortcutting the function call stack

Francesco Bochicchio bockman at virgilio.it
Tue Mar 25 03:49:31 EDT 2008

Il Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:05:38 -0700, Julien ha scritto:

> I'll try to explain a bit more what I'm after, and hopefully that will
> be clearer. In fact, what I'm trying to do is to "hijack" (I'm making up
> the term) a function:
>
> def hijacker(arg):
>     if I_feel_its_necessary:
>         hijack_caller_function_and_make_it_return(1)
>
> def my_function1(arg):
>     hijacker(something)
>     ... # Continue as normal
>     return 2
>
> def my_function2(arg):
>     ... # Maybe do some processing here
>     hijacker(whatever)
>     ... # Continue as normal
>     return 3

You could simply do something like:

 def hijacker(arg):
     if I_feel_its_necessary:
	return True, 1
     else:
	return False, 0

 def my_function1(arg):
     abort, code = hijiacker(something);
     if abort: return code
     ... # Continue as normal
     return 2

 def my_function2(arg):
     ... # Maybe do some processing here
     abort, code = hijiacker(whatever);
     if abort: return code
     ... # Continue as normal
     return 3

Although purists may frown upon the double return statement, it is still
a much cleaner code than using some magic to abort the caller function.
And tou have only to add two lines - always the same - at each function.

Ciao
-----
FB