ActiveX in Webpage?

Andrew Warkentin andreww at datanet.ab.ca
Wed Mar 5 19:39:02 EST 2008

Michael Wieher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to design a python-based web-app from scratch, based on a
> standalone MFC application.
> Obviously I'll be wrapping a lot of C++ functionality in custom
> extensions, but is anyone aware of any documentation/techniques that
> could help me "drop" an ActiveX control into a webpage, and just use it?
> That, or, of course, a solid bit of writing detailing the
> idiosyncrasies of MFC-wrapped Py-Extensions would be useful as well.
>
> -Mike

I would recommend against embedding ActiveX controls, especially if this
web application is public (if it is internal, it's not as much of a
problem, but you still might have problems later if you ever want to
migrate off Windows). ActiveX controls are not only Windows-specific,
but (mostly) IE-specific as well. Since you are developing it from
scratch, I would say that you should do it right and use AJAX, or
possibly Flash or Java applets, all of which are reasonably portable.