SV: Regarding coding style

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Mar 7 13:22:12 EST 2008

On 2008-03-07, K Viltersten <tmp1 at viltersten.com> wrote:

>>> Personally, I dislike double spaces after sentences, but it is
>>> not wrong to put them there any more than it is wrong not to
>>> put them there.
>>
>> You're lucky my high school typing teacher didn't hear you say
>> that...
>
> I'm unclear if your teacher was a double or single spacer.

Double.

> It's only implied that he felt strongly one way.

She, actually.  Leaving out one of the two spaces after the end
of a sentence was no less an error than leaving out the period
or forgetting to capitalize the first word of the next
sentence.

AFAIK, that's the way pretty much everybody was taught to type
back then (1977).

If you're using a word-processor or typesetting system that's
worth its weight in bits, it won't matter how many spaces you
type -- the paragraph layout algorithm will handle it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm having fun
                                  at               HITCHHIKING to CINCINNATI