Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

Paul Rubin http
Sat Mar 22 15:22:42 EDT 2008

jmDesktop <needin4mation at gmail.com> writes:
> For students 9th - 12th grade, with at least Algebra I.  Do you think
> Python is a good first programming language for someone with zero
> programming experience?

It's at least pretty good.  It's not ideal, but nothing ever is.

What I mean is: it's the best suggestion I can think of, but I can't
say with confidence that there's nothing better out there.
Alternatives would probably be more esoteric languages like Logo.

Chris Okasaki (of functional data structures fame) has an interesting
blog post about why indentation-based structuring is a big help for
teaching:

http://okasaki.blogspot.com/2008/02/in-praise-of-mandatory-indentation-for.html