Classes and modules are singletons?

Fri Mar 7 07:15:17 EST 2008

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 06:30:41 -0800, Carl Banks wrote:

> On Mar 5, 8:44 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>> But what about classes? Are they singletons? Obviously classes aren't
>> Singleton classes, that is, given an arbitrary class C you can create
>> multiple instances of C. But what about class objects themselves? I've
>> found a few odd references to "classes are singletons", but nothing in
>> the language reference.
>

> Probably because "singleton" is the wrong word.  A singleton means there
> is one instance of a type; classes are instances of "type" which can
> have many instances so classes are not singletons.

Right. I knew there was something funny about using the term "singleton"
to refer to classes, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

[snip]

> For that matter, try this:

That example is cheating because you rebind the *name* module.Someclass.
Of course you get something different.

But in any case, I'm satisfied now... the name singleton is inappropriate
for modules and classes, although they are both singleton-like. I like
Gabriel's term "named singleton" (from another thread).

Thank you to everybody who answered.

--
Steven