NameError: name 'guess' is not defined

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Mar 22 11:44:23 EDT 2008

willkab6 at gmail.com schrieb:
> I am very new to both programming and Pyhton and while trying to do
> some practice using A byte of python an Error pops up on the IDLE
> shell. I am using windows XP. PLease see below.
> while running:
> guess = int(raw_input('Enter an integer : '))
>
> if guess == number:
> print 'Congratulations, you guessed it.'
> running = False # this causes the while loop to stop
> elif guess < number:
> print 'No, it is a little higher than that.'
> else:
> print 'No, it is a little lower than that.'
> else:
> print 'The while loop is over.'
> # Do anything else you want to do here
>
> print 'Done'
>
> After typing the above as the book says, I get the error NameError:
> name 'guess' is not defined
> What Am I doing wrong?

You most certainly did NOT write the above - because in Python
whitespace is significant, and thus the above would result in a
syntax-error because you need to have things like

if condition:
    something()

and not

if condition:
something()

So unless you post what you *really* entered (and make sure your
NG-client/mailclient doesn't eat leading whitespace), nobody will be
able to help you.

Diez